Chapter 3 Review Questions
You have reached the end of Chapter 3. The questions below are for practice only and are not graded.
They have been selected to help you study and highlight some important information.
Fill in the text entry boxes with your answer.
When you have finished, click Check Answers.
The correct answers will be displayed in red after the questions.
NOTE: These are "fill in the blank" style questions and your answer may not exactly match the answer shown (i.e. different phrasing, different spelling, etc.) and will be marked as incorrect. Do not be discouraged as these questions are ONLY FOR PRACTICE and the practice test is just that - practice. As long as your answer is close to the answer displayed, you know you are on the right track! The final graded exam is multiple choice.
1. As the boat operator, the best way to ensure you have explained safety information to new guests is to use a pre-departure .
2. The best way to approach a dock when mooring is to note the direction of the wind and the current and operate the boat at a speed.
3. Boaters when they want to hold the boat in a given position on the water.
4. Boaters should always anchor from the of the boat.
5. To firmly anchor your boat, the amount of line you let out should be times the depth of the water you are anchoring in..
6. are moored to the seabed by concrete sinkers with chain or synthetic rope of various lengths and assist mariners in determining position on the water.
7. When returning from sea, or traveling upstream in a river, colored buoys or daymarkers are on your right side.
8. A uniform state waterway marker (buoy) showing a diamond shape in the center indicates .
9. On the intra-coastal waterway, yellow triangles  indicate aids should be passed by keeping them on the side of the vessel.
10. Mooring Buoys are white in color with a that is blue in color.
11. When heading down-stream or away from a dam, green buoys are kept on your side.
12. Buoys with orange bands at the top and bottom are authorized by your and enforced by law.